Sunday, August 5, 2007

Back on Blossom Street

Debbie Macomber has once again displayed her gift for telling heartwarming stories of families and friends working through life's ordinary problems. Back on Blossom Street follows The Shop on Blossom Street and A Good Yarn as part of a trilogy. Well, I just picked it up as a new book and I did not jump back and get the other two first, and I still enjoyed it. I do believe this is one set that I would like to have read in order though.
The shop's owner Lydia Hoffman, a youthful cancer survivor, in the first story goes through a lot of changes and forges relationships that would have been better in chronological order. But not one to miss out on the details, I enjoyed three so much I now have checked out the first book and hope to finish it soon and move on to the second one. The story of Lydia, her sister Margaret and the knitting class members, Jacqueline, Carol and Alix provide that feeling of visiting an old neighborhood which I think makes a very comforting read. Compassion, caring, and the little details of life that upset us and bring us joy are truly gifts in the words of a Debbie Macomber novel.

No comments: